The word Propolis is an ancient Greek word “Pro” meaning The Defender and word “Polis” meaning City. Literally Propolis means the defender of the City.
Propolis or bee glue is a resinous mixture that honey bees produce by mixing saliva and beeswax with exudate gathered from tree buds, sap flows, or other botanical sources1
The main ingredients of propolis are: tree and plant resins (45-55%), wax and fatty acids (25-35%), essential oils and other volatile substances (10%), pollen (5%), essential minerals and other organic components (5%).
The main minerals found in propolis are Magnesium, Calcium, Iodine, Potassium, Sodium, Copper, Zinc and Iron.
Vitamins found in propolis include: Vitamins B1, B2, B6, C, E, P (flavonoids or bioflavonoids)
Propolis has a high concentration polyphenols, coumarins, amino acids and steroids. The biological activities are mainly owed to the flavonoids (rutin, quercetin and galangina) and phenolic acid 2
• Cures Stomach Ulcers
• Regulates Monthly periods
• Reduces Pre Menstrual Cramps
• Heals gastro-intestinal disorders
• Heals seasonal allergies
• Acts as an anti-inflammatory
• Has antiviral properties, for example, fighting against herpes
• Acts as a fungicide, for example, propolis is effective against candida albicans
• Is effective against parasites such as trichomonas
• It is an antioxidant
• As resin it heals the wounds of a tree, in humans propolis aids the scaring process.
• Can be used to regulate the immune system
• Can be used as a local anesthetic
• It has a detoxifying effect and can be used to protect the liver
• Can stimulate blood circulation
• Help prevent common colds & flu
• Reduces side effects of radiotherapy & chemotherapy by protecting the body against radiation for cancer
• Stimulates the regeneration of tissues in the body for cancer patients
Propolis may slightly thin the blood. This makes it potentially beneficial for those with high blood pressure, but it should be avoided by anyone with bleeding disorders or who is taking blood thinners 3
Take 10-15drops of propolis tincture in a glass of water daily first thing in the morning on an empty stomach for conditions such as ulcers or 5-10drops in a glass of water regularly for any other condition